The extract below is from the Neighbourhood Development Plan.
The Heron family took over the Stubton Hall estate in 1789, being inherited by Sir Robert, from his uncle Sir Richard, in 1805. The house was originally used only for summer visits, but after being elected MP for Grimsby Sir Robert adopted it as his main home. Wishing initially to remodel the existing house, he commissioned Sir Jeffrey Wyatt, a sought after architect at the time, who had previously worked on Windsor Castle and the Orangery at nearby Belton House.
However, when work started, on discovering the poor state of the house they revised their ideas, and a new design was prepared for a restrained, classical style building similar in style to Wolley Park in Berkshire. Sir Robert and his wife, Amelia, had no children and when he died in 1854, the estate, including large sections of land in Stubton and Claypole passed to a male relative of Amelia’s, George Neville. Beyond Stubton Hall parkland, arable farming was the main activity, providing the majority of the employment in the area.
In 1918 it was purchased by Sir Edmund Royds. After his death in 1946 it was purchased by Lincolnshire County Council, and from 1952 to 2003 it was used as a boarding school, and is now a hotel and wedding venue. Stubton Hall.