The name Stubton originates from Old English: Stubb ton, a farmstead where there are tree stumps. It appears in Domesday Book under the name of Stobetun/Stubetune. At that time, there were 30 households, which was then considered quite a large settlement.
In 1086 the Lord and tenant-in-chief was Norman d’Arcy. Records indicate that the landscape consisted of a mix of smallholdings, ploughed land and meadow.
Today, Stubton has 179 villagers, occupying 77 households.. There is a very strong community ethos, with residents demonstrating a clear ‘can do’ attitude and always willing to participate in community activities.
A team from the village was responsible for initiating and overseeing the construction of a new Village Hall in 2000, with considerable help from the millennium lottery fund which also made a significant contribution to major repairs to the church tower in 2010.